Workshop Diary: Just 24 Easy Steps

Decorative banner made to look like paper craft art that reads "Just 24 Easy Steps."
 

So remember the “this is probably a bad idea” situation? 


I'm going to do it. 

I'm going to redo the box for my holiday living room. 

I'm just too excited about it. And I'd like to follow that excitement. 

There are so many things I can learn from doing this too, including planning. Or rather how to plan.


And that's what I've been doing. Planning. 

A dollhouse miniature scene of a cat having created a mess out of an overturned box of Christmas decorations. Styled to look like an old photo.


I’m thinking my way through what the step by step process should be and writing each step down. I want to add beams to the ceiling for this redo. As I was thinking about when to add those beams in I realized the beams should be set into the walls. So I actually had to go back and change steps. I am going to have to assemble the walls and floor together, but leave off the ceiling until later. Then after the walls & ceiling are painted I can add in the beams and glue the ceiling on. 


It's been quite a lot of fun to do this mental experiment. The back and forth as well as the research has been exhilarating. Who else gets excited about the way in which a ceiling meets a wall? Because all of these little details are so much fun! 


Currently I have 24 different steps. Some of those steps encompass multiple smaller steps. Like where I need to add modeling paste right after assembling the walls and floor together. Or like the step of mixing all of the different paints & stains I'm going to need. Other steps are fairly simple. But it's still a lot of steps. 

Yellow steno pad with notes on a project and test window designs.


I've tried to plan things out before, but one of the problems I ran into was not having enough experience. I'd never done it before and I didn't know what kind of things would affect other things. So there are definitely some benefits to me having just jumped in and experimented. But I think I've reached a point where I can do quite a lot more planning and I'm excited about this new phase in my journey as a miniatures artist. 


Comments